How to Unlock Time and Expenses
Time and expense entries are locked when hours or expenses are invoiced and/or approved, or when items are archived. This prevents those entries from being edited. In this document, you’ll learn more about the different ways to unlock time and expenses. You’ll want to do this if you need to edit an entry that has already been locked.
If you’re an Administrator and need information on how to view another person’s timesheet, you can find it here.
What Causes Time and Expenses to Lock
If a time or expense is gray and a lock icon appears to the right of the entry, it’s locked. Administrators will see one of the following messages when they hover over the lock icon:
- Entry Invoiced: For time or expenses that are invoiced but not approved. Invoicing locks time for a given project through the most recent date covered by that invoice. For example, if you invoice through Monday on Monday morning, you and your team won’t be able to log time to that same project for the rest of the day.
- Entry Approved: For time or expenses that are approved but not invoiced. Approval in Harvest is on a weekly basis; approving a week locks the entire week, including days with no time tracked to them.
- Entry Invoiced and Approved: For time or expenses that have been both invoiced and approved. Note that for the entry to be unlocked, you must withdraw approval and mark the entry as uninvoiced in order to edit it.
- Entry Archived: For time or expenses that are locked because the project, task, or person is archived. These hours or expenses aren’t necessarily invoiced or approved. However, if you have a time entry that’s locked but hasn’t been approved or invoiced, it’s very likely that some element of the entry has been archived.
Project Managers and Regular Users will see a message that says Only an Administrator can unlock this entry no matter why the time or expense is locked. If you need to make changes to locked time or expenses, ask an Administrator to unlock these entries.
Who Can Unlock Time and Expenses
- Can unlock invoiced or approved time and expense entries and restore anything that has been archived.
- Can edit Notes, Duration, or Amount on a locked time entry or locked expense entry without unlocking it. Editing Project/Task assignment or Project/Expense Category can only be done on unlocked entries.
- Can mark entries as invoiced or uninvoiced from a Detailed Time Report or an Expense Report.
- Can restore an archived project that they’ve managed.
- Can restore an archived task or person on a project that they manage.
- Can’t mark entries as invoiced/uninvoiced or unlock approved entries.
Unlocking Time and Expenses
The steps you need to take to unlock time depend on why it’s locked. Locate the reason that applies to your situation below.
If hours have been invoiced, you need to mark those hours as uninvoiced to unlock the timesheet. This won’t change your invoice, but it will allow you to modify locked hours on your timesheet.
- Go to Reports > Detailed Time.
- Set your filters to include the hours that you want to unlock and click Run Report.
- Click the Mark Hours menu and select Uninvoiced.
To mark those hours as invoiced again, run the same report. This time, choose Invoiced from the Mark Hours menu. This will lock your hours.
If expenses have been invoiced, you need to mark the entries as uninvoiced to unlock them. This won’t change your invoice, but it will allow you to edit the expense entries.
- Go to Reports > Expenses.
- Set your filters to include the expenses that you want to unlock and click Run Report.
- Click the Mark Expenses menu and select Uninvoiced.
To mark those expenses as invoiced again, run the same report. This time, choose Invoiced from the Mark Expenses menu. This will lock your expenses.
Approved Time and Expenses
From Time > Timesheet, Time > Archive, or Expenses, find the week that you want to unlock and click Withdraw Approval.
If an entry is locked because a project is archived, you need to restore the project to unlock the entry.
- Go to Projects.
- Use the filter menu (top left of your Projects Overview page) to see just Archived Projects.
- Click the Restore button (to the right of a project listing) for the project you want to restore.
If the client associated with the project has also been archived, you’ll need to restore them first in order to restore projects belonging to that client:
- Go to Manage > Clients.
- Click Manage Archived Clients in the top right of your screen.
- Click on the name of the client you want to restore.
- Click Yes to restore them.
If a task has been archived on a project or within Manage > Tasks, that task needs to be restored in order to unlock the timesheet. A task that’s been archived in the account must be restored to the account first. Restoring a task in the account doesn’t automatically restore it on projects; you’ll then need to add the task back to a project from the project’s settings page.
To restore a task that has been archived from your account:
- Go to Manage > Tasks.
- Click Manage Archived Tasks in the top right of your screen.
- Click the back arrow button next to the task you want to restore.
To restore a task on the project to which it’s assigned:
- Go to Projects.
- Click the Actions menu to the right of any project listing and choose Edit.
- In the Tasks section, click the Restore button next to the task’s name.
- After the task is added, be sure to save your project.
If a person has been archived on a project or in your account, that person needs to be restored in order to unlock their time and expenses. A person who’s been archived in the account must be restored to the account first.
Restoring a person in the account doesn’t automatically restore them on projects; you’ll then need to add the person back to a project from the project’s settings page.
To restore a person who has been archived from your whole account:
- Go to Team.
- Click the Manage Archived People button in the lower right corner.
- Click the Edit button next to the person you want to restore.
- Click the Restore button on their profile to restore them.
Then you’ll need to assign the person to the projects they need to access, which you can do in two different ways:
- Go to Projects.
- Click the Actions menu to the right of a project and choose Edit.
- In the Team section, click the Restore button next to the person’s name.
- After the person is re-added, remember to save your project.
- Go to Team.
- Click the person’s name from the list of users.
- Click the Edit Profile button in the upper right corner.
- From the Projects tab, click in the Select projects to assign field to assign them to projects. You can select multiple projects, or assign the person to all projects by selecting Assign to all projects at the bottom of the dropdown menu.