Team permissions in Harvest let you choose what your different team members are allowed to do and access in your account. There are three different levels of permissions: Regular User, Project Manager, and Administrator. To view your own permissions:
- Click your name at the top right corner of your Harvest account.
- Select My Profile.
- Scroll to the Permissions section.
To view or change a team member’s permissions:
- Head to Team.
- Click the Actions dropdown to the right of the relevant team member, then select Edit.
- Go to Basic Info (left menu) and look for the Permissions setting.
- If you make any changes, click Update Info.
|Regular User||Project Manager||Administrator|
|Time and Expenses|
|Track time and expenses to assigned projects|
|Report on own time and expenses|
|Report on others’ time and expenses||Only for projects they manage|
|Approve time and expenses||Only for projects they manage|
|Edit others’ time and expenses|
|Clients, Projects, and Tasks|
|Create and edit clients|
|Create projects||Only with additional permission|
|Edit projects||Only projects they manage|
|Assign people to projects||Only to projects they manage|
|View project reports||Only assigned projects shown to everybody||Only projects they manage or assigned projects shown to everybody|
|Create and edit tasks||Only within projects they manage|
|See billable rates and amounts||Only with additional permission and for projects they manage|
|See cost rates and amounts|
|Invoices and Estimates|
|Create invoices||Only with additional permission and for projects they manage|
|Send and manage invoices|
|Send and manage estimates|
|Add and edit people|
|Manage account settings|
|Upgrade and update billing information|
|Close the account||Only the Account Owner|
Regular User Permissions
This base-level permission is perfect for any team members who only need to track and report on their own time and expenses. Regular Users can track only to projects they’re assigned to. They can never see any fees, rates, or other monetary amounts.
Regular Users can only see certain projects in their Projects section: projects they’re assigned to that are set to show the project report to everyone on the project. Other projects won’t be listed there even if the Regular User can track time and expenses to them. You can learn more about this project setting here.
Note: If you set a Regular User as the manager of a project, their team permissions will change to Project Manager. You can see more about Project Manager permissions below.
Project Manager Permissions
This mid-level permission is perfect for team members who are in charge of keeping your projects on track. Project Managers can track time and expenses to projects they’re assigned to, and they can also manage projects.
You can choose who manages a project when creating or editing a project. All managers of a project can:
- View the full report for the project. They can see all time and expenses tracked by other team members to the project, as well as how that compares to an hourly budget.
- Approve hours and expenses tracked to that project by any team member (if the approval functionality is enabled in the account).
- Edit select project details, including hourly budgets, tasks, and assigned people.
- Note: Although Project Managers can create tasks while editing a project, or while creating a project if they have the optional permission listed below, best practice is to have an Administrator create the task in the Manage section so they can add the default information for the task, such as the default hourly rate.
- Archive, delete, and restore the project.
Project Managers can only see certain projects in their Projects section: projects they manage, and projects they’re assigned to that are set to show the project report to everyone on the project. Other projects won’t be listed there even if the Project Manager can track time and expenses to them. You can learn more about this project setting here.
Project Managers can also be given additional permissions:
Optional: Create projects for all clients
Project Managers with this permission can create projects for all clients in your account. When setting up a new project, they can’t see and edit a fee-based budget, the hourly rate type, project fees, or the billable rates unless given the View billable rates and amounts permission (see below).
Optional: View billable rates and amounts
Project Managers with this permission can see and edit fee-based budgets, hourly rate types, project fees, and billable rates on all projects they manage.
Optional: Create invoices for projects they manage
Project Managers with this permission can create and edit invoices only for projects they manage. They’ll have access to Invoices > Overview, but not Invoices > Report, Recurring, Retainer, or Configure. With this permission, they can only:
- Create invoices, only for projects they manage.
- Edit invoices they’ve created, but only up until they’re sent to the client by an Administrator. After an Administrator sends an invoice, it will no longer appear in the Project Manager’s account.
- Save PDFs of their invoices.
- Print their invoices.
- Duplicate their invoices.
Optional: See project notes
This is an account-wide permission setting. You can change it by going to Settings, clicking the Edit Preferences button, updating the Show Project Notes setting, then saving your changes. When set to Administrators and Project Managers, all Project Managers will be able to see the project notes for any project they’re assigned to manage.
What Project Managers can never do
Since Project Managers have many optional permissions, it could be helpful to know what a Project Manager can never do:
- See other people’s time and expenses tracked to projects they don’t manage.
- See cost rates and amounts.
- Send invoices to clients or mark invoices as sent.
- Create recurring invoices.
- Record payments to invoices.
- Delete invoices.
- Draw from a retainer.
- Edit client information.
- Create estimates.
Administrators have the highest level of permissions and can see and edit almost everything in the account (only the Account Owner can close the account or put it on hold). This includes managing all projects and clients, adding and managing team members, approving and editing all time and expenses, invoicing clients, seeing and editing both billable and cost rates, updating account preferences and billing, and everything else.
While an Administrator can see all project reports, they can still only track time to projects they’re assigned to. Also, if you’re an Administrator who isn’t seeing every section of Harvest, make sure you’ve enabled all modules.
The Account Owner
Each account has one Administrator who’s designated as the Account Owner. This is often the person who first opened the account, but the current Account Owner can transfer ownership to another Administrator, as described in this article. In addition to the standard Administrator permissions, the Account Owner is the only person who can close the account or put it on hold, and other Administrators can’t edit the Account Owner’s email address.