How to Add and Import People
If you’re a Regular User, check out our Regular User resources.
Before adding or importing people, you may need to increase your user count from Settings (upper right corner). Visit our page on updating your billing for more information on adding user spaces.
- Go to Team and click the + Add Person button.
- Enter the new person’s name and email address. The email address must be unique for every person on the account.
- Choose which permissions level the new team member should have. You can also set roles and rates, as well as capacity, if it differs from the account default.
- Click Invite and Continue, and an email will be sent to your teammate to let them know how to sign in to Harvest and create their password.
- Click into the Select projects to assign… field and either select from existing projects in the account or click Assign to All Projects at the bottom of the project list. Then, click Assign Projects (or Assign All Projects, if you’ve chosen that option) so the new team member can start tracking time as soon as they accept their invitation.
You can import people via a CSV file by going to the Team section and clicking the Import button. The file can be created and formatted in Excel (or another spreadsheet program) and then exported to a CSV file. The CSV file will need to be formatted using UTF-8 encoding.
Your spreadsheet will need to be organized with the following nine columns, in order:
- First Name (Required)
- Last Name (Required)
- Email (Required)
- Billable Rate
- Cost Rate
- Admin (Yes/No)
- Employee (Yes/No)
Some things to look out for:
- Be sure to include a header row with the column names. The column names and order must match exactly for the import to work.
- First Name, Last Name, and Email are required and can’t be blank.
- For the Roles column, use a
|(vertical bar) to separate multiple roles.
- For Billable Rate and Cost Rate, you don’t need to include the currency symbol. Your account’s default currency is automatically used for all default rates.
- If you’re re-importing an existing team member, please take care with the Billable Rate and Cost Rate columns. If a person’s billable/cost rate in the file matches their current billable/cost rate in Harvest, nothing will change. If the rate is different from their current rate or is left blank, the new (or blank) rate will override their current default, including any historical rates.
- For the Admin column, write “yes” to import the user with Administrator permissions. If the column says “no” or is left blank, the user will be imported with Regular User permissions.
- Similarly, for the Employee column, enter “yes” to import the user as an employee. If the column says “no” or is left blank, the user will be imported as a contractor.
If you prefer, here’s a sample CSV file you can download and use as a template.
Once the import is complete, Harvest will email each imported person with instructions on how to sign in to their account. They won’t be automatically assigned to any projects, so make sure you do that by editing either each project or each person’s profile.