Creating and Duplicating Projects
If you’re a Regular User, check out our Regular User resources.
Administrators can add projects for all clients, and Project Managers can add projects if they’re given permission via the Team section.
Creating a Project
- Go to your Projects section.
- Click the New Project button in the top left.
- Assign a Client from the drop-down menu, or create a new client.
- The client is the person or company for whom you’re completing this work. You can add and edit clients and their contact info under Manage > Clients.
- Name your project. You can also add a Project Code if you’d like.
- Enter the project’s start and end dates. These have no effect on your ability to track time, and you can always change them later if need be.
- Enter project Notes if you need them. You can control who sees these notes by editing your Preferences in Settings (upper right corner).
- If you’re creating a Fixed Fee project, we recommend using the Notes to record invoice information, like your payment schedule. That’s because we’ll reveal these notes to you when you create your invoice. So use this field to enter any info that’ll help you make those invoices!
- Select a Project Type: Time & Materials, Fixed Fee, or Non-Billable. You can learn more about project types here
- Depending on which project type you choose, you’ll have the option to set a budget, hourly rates, or project fees.
- For any project with a budget, make sure you enter your budget amount. You can also choose to send email alerts to your employees if your budget reaches a certain percentage of completion. Project Managers always receive budget emails. Administrators on the project only receive budget emails if no one is designated as a Project Manager.
- In the Permissions section, you can choose to Show project report to Project Managers on this project, and Administrators, limiting visibility, or you can open it up to everyone on the team. If you open it up to everyone, Regular Users on the project will be able to see the total hours for the project and how that compares to the budget. They won’t see any billable amounts or costs, though! Here’s how it breaks down:
- Add tasks to the project. Don’t forget to mark them as billable (and enter rates) or non-billable!
- You can create a general task list under Manage > Tasks, where you can also assign default settings to tasks.
- Add people to the project.
- People must be added to the Harvest account before you can assign them to projects. Add people to your account from the Team section of Harvest or, if you’re still in the trial period, by clicking the invite more people link below the Team list on the create/edit project form.
- Use the checkboxes in the Manages This Project column to indicate whether the people you assign can manage the project or not. If you check the box next to a person with Regular User permissions, a notification will appear letting you know that this will raise their permissions level to Project Manager in the account. You’ll need to confirm or cancel that change to move forward. You can learn more about the different team permissions here.
- Save your project, and you’ll see it in your Projects section.
Duplicating a Project
Duplicating Active Projects
Need to quickly create a project that has settings similar to one of your other projects? Simply duplicate that project! If it’s active:
- Go to Projects and make sure the filter is set to view active projects.
- Click the Actions menu that appears to the right of a project listing.
- Select Duplicate.
Duplicating Archived Projects
You can duplicate an archived project, too!
- Go to Projects and filter to archived projects.
- Click on a project’s name, and you’ll be dropped into the project’s Analysis page.
- Click the Duplicate button in the top right.