Link Harvest to Xero and copy your Harvest invoices and payments directly into Xero.
You must be an admin user to link your Harvest account and copy invoices to Xero.
Linking and Copying Invoices to Xero
Linking Harvest to Xero
- In Harvest, click on Settings (upper right corner).
- Only administrators can view and change Account Settings.
- Scroll down to Integrations and click on Connect to Xero. Note that you won’t see this button if your Invoices module is not enabled.
- You will be taken to Xero. Once signed in, select which organization Harvest should copy invoices to, and click Authorize.
- You will be redirected back to Harvest. From here, select your Default Revenue and Payment Accounts for Xero (if you opt in to copy invoice payments from Harvest to Xero). Also pick your Tracking Category setting.
- Click Save.
How to Copy Invoices
Sending invoices to your clients via Harvest will automatically copy them to your Xero account. Recurring invoices will also automatically be sent to Xero if you have them set to automatically send to your clients. However, if you need to manually copy invoices to Xero:
- Go to Invoices > Overview and select the invoice you want to copy to Xero.
- In the More Actions menu, click Copy to Xero.
Once an invoice has been copied to Xero, you will see a View on Xero button next to its title. Click this button to be taken to Xero’s site to view or edit the invoice as necessary.
Harvest invoice line items are copied to Xero Revenue Accounts. The logic is as follows:
- If the Harvest invoice line item Item Type matches a Xero Item Code that has a default Revenue Account configured in Xero, we’ll copy the line item to that Xero Revenue Account. This mapping is managed in Xero under Accounts > Inventory. For example, if the default Revenue Account for your Services Item Code in Xero is 400 – Sales, then any invoice line items in Harvest with an Item Type of Services will copy over to the 400 – Sales account.
- Otherwise, if the Harvest invoice Client matches a Xero Contact that has a default Revenue Account configured in Xero, we’ll copy the invoice to that Xero Revenue Account. This mapping is managed in Xero under Contacts > All Contacts.
- If there isn’t a default Revenue Account for the Client or Item Types on the invoice, we’ll use the Revenue Account configured in Harvest’s Xero Settings page as the fallback Revenue Account.
How to Copy Payments
To copy payments from Harvest to Xero, you’ll need to opt in to this feature. Just click Settings (upper right corner), scroll to Integrations, and click Edit Settings in the Xero section. Then you’ll need to indicate which Payment Account these payments should be applied to.
- This is a one-way copy. Payments recorded in Xero will not be copied to Harvest.
- Payments cannot be applied to Drafts in Xero. An invoice must be marked as sent in order for the Harvest payment to copy to Xero.
- Once an invoice is marked as Paid in Xero, it is locked down for editing. As a result, if you try to edit an invoice in Harvest that has been marked as paid in Xero, you’ll get a warning that these edits will not copy over.
- Online payments received in Harvest via Stripe or PayPal will automatically be copied to Xero.
- Deleted payments will not get deleted in Xero. If you delete a payment in Harvest, you must manually delete it in Xero.
- Write-offs will not get copied over to Xero. If you write-off an invoice in Harvest, you must manually make the corresponding change in Xero.
- Overpayments are not allowed via the API. You’ll get a Payment amount exceeds the amount outstanding on this document error. The overpayment will still be recorded in Harvest though. Note that this rule will also prevent duplicate payments from being applied to invoices in Xero.
Mapping of Harvest and Xero Invoice Statuses:
Draft: If an invoice is saved as a draft in Harvest, then it will be saved as a draft in Xero.
Sent: If an invoice has a status of sent in Harvest, then it will be marked as the Awaiting Payment/Approved/Authorised status in Xero.
Payment Received: If a payment has been recorded in Harvest, then the invoice will be marked as Paid in Xero if you have copying payments turned on in your Account Settings. If only a partial payment has been applied in Harvest, then the invoice will be marked as the Awaiting Payment/Approved/Authorised status in Xero.
More on the Xero Integration
- Tax rates: Once you set up the integration, we’ll pull over your tax rates from Xero so you can use them when creating an invoice. You can only apply one tax rate per invoice. Also, you will not be able to customize your tax rates in Harvest if your Xero account is linked. If you plan to copy old Harvest invoices to Xero, those invoices must be updated to use your tax rates from Xero. On the invoice, click Edit Invoice > Apply tax from Xero to select the proper tax rate.
- Discounts: A Harvest discount will be applied to each line item in Xero. Invoices copied over from Harvest to Xero prior to June 6, 2014 display the discount as a negative line item in Xero.
- Line Item Descriptions: Each invoice line item in Harvest must have a description in order for the invoice to be copied to Xero.
- Currency: The currency of your Harvest invoice must also be a supported currency in Xero. Check your Xero settings to see if you can add/change currencies.
- Retainers: Retainer invoices (invoices that add funds to a retainer) cannot be copied to Xero. This is to prevent double-counting those funds when they are used to apply payment to a future invoice.
- Tracking Categories: If you have Populate Tracking Categories in Xero based on client selected in your Harvest for Xero settings, then the tracking categories will populate on your invoice line items when you copy your Harvest invoices over to Xero.