Customizing Account Preferences
You can change your time/date settings and other account-wide preferences by clicking Settings (upper right corner), scrolling to the Preferences section, and clicking the Edit Preferences button. If you’re the current account owner, this is also where you can transfer ownership to another administrator.
Only people with administrator permissions can view and change Account Settings. If you don’t see the Settings link in your navigation, you don’t have administrator permissions.
This article explains some of the account preferences in more detail.
Changing your company name here will also change it on your estimates and invoices to clients as well as receipts/invoices you receive from Harvest.
The account owner is usually the person who originally set up your Harvest account. The account owner has all administrator privileges and, in addition, is the only one who can close your Harvest account; they also can’t be archived or deleted from the account. To change your Harvest account’s owner, have the current owner click into the Account Owner dropdown and select another administrator to be the new owner before saving their changes.
You can format the following time settings:
- Time format – Choose whether start and end times (if enabled) appear in a 12-hour or 24-hour clock.
- Time display – Choose whether time on timesheets appears in decimal format (e.g. 2 hours, 15 minutes appears as
2.25) or as HH:MM (e.g. 2 hours, 15 minutes appears as
2:15). Note that on reports and invoices, time is always displayed in decimal format for greater precision.
- Timer mode – Track time via duration (e.g. 2 hours) or via start and end time (e.g. 9:00 am to 11:00 am). By default, Harvest tracks time by duration. When you change to tracking by start and end times, this will apply to all timers created going forward. Besides timesheets, start and end times are also displayed in detailed time reports and on individual person pages in Team.
This number sets the desired maximum hours per week for each team member so you can see how their tracked time compares in the Team section. This figure is applied to all team members by default, but you can change it on a per-person basis in individual team members’ user profiles. It’s informational only and doesn’t prevent team members from tracking time exceeding their capacity.
Your account’s default currency will be used for all new clients, but you can change an individual client’s currency when you create or edit them; the new currency will then apply to all of that client’s projects.
Start Week On
You can set timesheets and reports to display the first day of the week as Sunday, Monday, or Saturday. When this setting is changed, all existing timesheets, including previously approved ones, will be shifted to start the week on the day selected.
When time rounding is turned on, your team’s hours will be automatically rounded on summary reports (under Reports > Time) and on new invoices. In these parts of Harvest, each individual time entry is rounded based on the setting you choose before they’re added up to the total.
Rounding isn’t applied to actual time entries on your timesheets or detailed time reports (under Reports > Detailed Time). Time report exports will have one column with unrounded values and one with rounded values to assist you in your reporting. Rounding also isn’t applied to the Contractor Report.
One of the budget options you can select for your projects is total project hours. Here, you can choose whether projects with that budget type take only billable hours or both billable and non-billable hours into account for burning the budget.
In addition to the above settings, you can also change:
- Fiscal year (allowing you to report on and invoice for the fiscal year you choose)
- Date format
- Currency format
- Number format
- Who sees project notes
- Whether administrators receive timesheet approval confirmation (if timesheet approval is enabled in your account)
- The color of your account’s navigation bar