Timesheet: Day View
The Day view of your timesheet lets you track your time as you work. By either starting a timer to run while you take care of a task or adding entries for work you’ve already done, you can make sure your time is accurate and accounted for! In the Day view, you can also add notes to your time entries and edit previously entered time. You can reach this view by going to Time > Timesheet and ensuring that the Day/Week toggle is set to Day.
Certain company settings will change how you track time and the appearance of your time entries. Learn more about time settings here.
If you’re entering a full day’s or week’s worth of time, you might want to use the Week view. You can learn more about that here.
How to Enter Time
There are two ways to track time in your timesheet’s Day view. You can keep a timer running while you work—during a phone call with a client, for example—or enter time after the fact, when you get out of a meeting or at the end of the day.
- Click the New Entry button.
- Choose your project and task. You can quickly select by typing the project or task name in the selection box and pressing your Enter key.
- If you want to keep any notes on your work, you can add those here, too
- Start a timer by clicking Start Timer, or enter a duration (or start and end times, if your timesheet is set up that way) and click Save Entry.
Note that because Harvest is web-based, your timesheet is constantly being saved whenever you start or end a timer or edit an entry—there’s no additional Save button to click!
There are a few keyboard shortcuts for your timesheet that can help you start your timer even faster so you can get right back to the work at hand.
- New Entry: Hit the N key on your keyboard.
- Closing the New Entry window: Instead of clicking cancel, just hit ESC on your keyboard.
Copying Your Last Timesheet
If you work on the same tasks day to day, you can copy over the projects and tasks from your most recent timesheet.
- At the bottom of a blank timesheet, you’ll see a link to Copy over all rows from previous timesheet.
- Click the link. The projects and tasks you worked on most recently, including any notes, will show up on your current timesheet without any tracked time.
How to Edit or Delete Time
All users can edit or delete their time, as long as it hasn’t been locked. The project, task, notes, and start time (if you track time by start/end times) can be changed while a timer is running; once a timer is stopped, any aspect of the time entry can be changed.
Administrators can edit another employee’s time by clicking the Teammates button in the upper right corner of the timesheet and selecting the team member in question, then navigating to the time entry they’d like to edit.
- Click the pencil icon that appears to the right of the entry.
- Make your changes and click Update Timer, or click Delete and confirm to permanently delete the entry.
A time entry may be locked if it’s been invoiced, approved, or the project, task, or person related to the entry is archived.
Administrators can edit the Notes and Duration or Start and End Times on a locked time entry. They can also delete locked time.
- Click the Lock button to the right of the entry.
- Make your changes to the Notes, Duration, or Start and End Times and click Update Entry, or click Delete and confirm to permanently delete the entry.
If you need to unlock an entire timesheet, please see this page for instructions.