There are three types of users—regular users, project managers, and administrators. All permissions can be changed from Team. To view/change permissions:
- Head over to Team.
- Click on a person’s name to view their Person Page, and then click Edit Profile (upper right corner).
- Go to Basic Info (left menu) and look for the Permissons settings.
- If you make any changes, be sure to click Update Info.
Regular Users – Basic Permissions
Any person you add in Harvest starts as a regular user, unless you manually changed their permissions when you added them to your account. A regular user can:
- Track time.
- Record expenses.
- See reports of their own time and expenses.
Regular Users – Additional Permissions
For each project, administrators and project managers can select Show project report to everyone on the project in the Permissions section. If this is turned on, regular users can see total hours for the project and how that compares to the budget. They won’t see any fee-based budgets, billable amounts, or costs, though!
Project Managers – Basic Permissions
You can make someone a project manager from Team by clicking on their name, clicking Edit Profile, and changing their permissions from the Basic Info tab. You can also update a person’s Project Manager status on individual projects. For projects they manage, project managers can:
- Approve hours and expenses.
- View reports.
- View the Project Analysis page for that Project.
- Edit select project details, including hourly budgets, tasks, and people.
- Note: They cannot edit fee-based budgets, invoice methods, or hourly rates. They must have View Rates permissions to do this.
- Archive or delete, and restore projects.
If a person is added to new projects by default, giving them project manager permissions on any project will give them those permissions on all new projects you create. If they’re not added to new projects by default, you’ll need to check the box to make them a project manager on any project.
Project Managers – Additional Permissions
From the Basic Info tab of a project manager’s Team profile, you can assign three additional permissions—the ability to create projects, view rates, and create invoices. If you initially set someone to be a project manager from a project rather than their Team profile, they will have only the basic project manager permissions unless you update them in their profile.
Project managers with this permission can create projects for all clients in your account.
Project managers can only create projects with hourly budgets (not fee-based budgets), unless they have the View Rates permission.
In addition to this, they cannot set invoice methods or hourly rates unless they have the View Rates permission.
View Billable Rates and Amount
Project managers with this permission will be able to see and edit invoice methods and billable rates on all projects they manage. Project managers with this permission will also be able to view your budget information for both hourly and fee-based budgets.
They cannot see or export cost rates. Only administrators can access cost-related information.
Project managers with this permission can create free-form invoices and invoices based on hours and expenses only for projects they manage. (Note: Project managers cannot create estimates even if this permission is turned on.) Project managers only see Invoices > Overview. They do not see Invoices > Report, Recurring, Retainer, or Configure.
Project managers can only view invoices they’ve created, and they can edit an invoice up until it is sent by an admin to the client. Once an admin sends an invoice, it will no longer appear in the project manager’s account.
When project managers are viewing a draft of an invoice, they can:
- Edit the invoice up until it is sent to a client by an admin.
- Create a PDF.
- Print the invoice.
- Duplicate the invoice.
- Send an invoice to a client.
- Record payment for an invoice.
- Delete an invoice.
- Draw from a retainer.
- Mark an invoice as sent.
- Create a recurring invoice.
- Edit a client’s information from the invoice.
- Access any invoices after they’ve been sent.
See Project Notes
- Click Settings (upper right corner).
- Only administrators can view and change Account Settings.
- Click Edit Preferences.
- Scroll to Show Project Notes and select Administrators and project managers.
An administrator can do anything in the account, including:
- Approve hours.
- Edit all projects.
- Edit another user’s timesheets.
- See all reports.
- Create and send invoices to all clients.
- Create, send, and view estimates.
- Mark hours as invoiced or uninvoiced.
- Change all company settings, including billing method.
- See and edit cost rates.
If you are an administrator who is not seeing every section of Harvest, make sure you’ve enabled all modules.
More on Timesheet Approval
Administrators receive an email when a timesheet is approved. You can turn this setting off by going to Settings (upper right corner), clicking Edit Preferences, and changing the setting for Approval Confirmation. If that is off, all administrators will stop receiving approved timesheet notifications.