How to Add and Import People
Before adding or importing people, you may need to increase your user count from Settings (upper right corner). Visit our page on updating your billing for more information on adding user spaces.
- Go Team and click the + Add Person button.
- Enter the new user’s name and email address. The email address must be unique for every person on the account.
- Choose which permissions level the new team member should have. You can also set department and rates if you wish, as well as their capacity, if it differs from the account default.
- Click Save and Invite Person to save. An email will be sent to your teammate to let them know how to sign in to Harvest and create their password.
You can import people via a CSV file by going to the Team section and clicking the Import button. The file can be created and formatted in Excel (or another spreadsheet program) and then exported to a CSV file. The CSV file will need to be formatted using UTF-8 encoding.
Your spreadsheet will need to be organized with the following nine columns, in order:
- First Name (Required)
- Last Name (Required)
- Email (Required)
- Billable Rate
- Cost Rate
- Admin (Yes/No)
- Employee (Yes/No)
Some things to look out for:
- Be sure to include a header row with the column names. The column names and order must match exactly for the import to work.
- First Name, Last Name, and Email are required and can’t be blank.
- For hourly rate, you don’t need to include the currency symbol. Your account’s default currency is automatically used for all default rates.
- For the Admin column, write “yes” to import the user with Administrator permissions. If the column says “no” or is left blank, the user will be imported with Regular User permissions.
- Similarly, for the Employee column, enter “yes” to import the user as an employee. If the column says “no” or is left blank, the user will be imported as a contractor.
If you prefer, here’s a sample CSV file you can download and use as a template.
Once the import is complete, Harvest will email each imported person with instructions on how to sign in to their account.