Detailed Time and Expense Reports
Detailed Time and Expense Reports show hours or expenses by date and entry and allow you to mark hours and expenses as invoiced or uninvoiced.
How to Run a Detailed Time Report: Video
How to Run a Detailed Time or Expense Report: Step by Step
Administrators can run Detailed Time and Expense Reports for all projects. Project managers can only run Detailed Time and Expense Reports for projects they manage.
- Go to Reports > Detailed Time or Reports > Expenses.
- Choose a Timeframe.
- Filter the clients/projects/people/etc. you want to see in the report with the input boxes.
- You can choose more than one filter.
- Basic and Business accounts can also filter by Department.
- Click Run Report.
From the Show menu, you can filter your report by invoiced and uninvoiced hours or expenses, or billable and non-billable hours or expenses. You can also change the grouping of your report via the Group by menu.
On an Expense Report, administrators and project managers can click the paper clip icon next to a number in the Amount column to view or download the file (receipt photo, PDF, etc.) attached to that expense.
Jumping to Timesheet Entries or Expenses
Administrators can jump from a Detailed Time or Expense Report directly to a particular time entry on the person’s timesheet or a particular expense in the person’s expense list. This is especially useful when you want to edit a time entry or expense to fix a mistake you discovered while running a report.
Click the blue underlined number in the Hours (Detailed Time Report) or Amount (Expense Report) column to jump to the corresponding item on the person’s timesheet or in their expense list. A little tip: you may want to right-click the number and open the entry or expense in a new browser tab or window; that way, when you’re done editing, you can simply close the tab or window and return to your report without needing to run it again!
Here’s what this feature looks like for a Detailed Time Report, from clicking on the blue number in the report to opening the edit window for the time entry:
Marking Hours or Expenses as Invoiced or Uninvoiced
When you create an invoice based on project hours, Harvest automatically marks all included hours and expenses as invoiced. When you run a Detailed Time or Expense Report, green locks mark invoiced and locked entries.
From a Detailed Time or Expense Report, administrators can mark hours or expenses as invoiced to lock them or as uninvoiced to unlock them.
- Note: Project managers can run Detailed Time and Expense Reports, but they can’t mark hours or expenses as invoiced or uninvoiced.
To mark hours or expenses as invoiced or uninvoiced:
- Run a report from Reports > Detailed Time or Reports > Expense.
- You will see a menu that says Mark Hours or Mark Expenses. Choose Invoiced or Uninvoiced from this menu.
- A light box will appear asking you to confirm that you want to mark the hours or expenses as invoiced or uninvoiced. Click Yes to confirm or No to cancel.
Exporting Detailed Time and Expense Reports
Detailed Time Report
From the Export menu, you can export to Excel and CSV, as well as QuickBooks and/or Google Drive if you’ve set up one or both of those integrations. Note that your export will contain more detailed information than what you see on the interface.
From the Export menu, you can export to Excel, CSV, and PDF. To export expense receipts from Harvest, choose PDF.
Print both reports by clicking the printer icon.