Creating and Duplicating Projects
Administrators can add projects for all clients, and project managers can add projects if they’re given permission via Manage > People.
Creating a Project
- Go to your Projects section.
- Click the New Project button in the top left.
- Assign a Client from the drop-down menu, or create a new client.
- The client is the person or company for whom you’re completing this work. You can add and edit clients, as well as their contact info, under Manage > Clients.
- Name your project. You can also add a project code if you’d like.
- Enter the project’s start and end date. These have no effect on your ability to track time, and you can always change them later if need be.
- Enter project notes if you need them. You can control who sees these notes by editing your Preferences in Settings (upper right corner).
- Choose an Invoice Method if you’d like to invoice for your project.
- If you invoice by task, person, or project hourly rate, don’t forget to enter your rates in the appropriate rate fields!
- If you have a budget, set it up under the Budget Method section.
- Don’t forget to enter your budgeted amounts in the appropriate fields!
- You can also choose to send email alerts to your employees if your budget reaches a certain percentage of completion. Project managers always receive budget emails. Administrators on the project only receive budget emails if no one is designated as a project manager.
- In the Permissions section, you can choose to Show project report to project managers on this project, and administrators, limiting visibility, or you can open it up to everyone on the team. If you open it up to everyone, they’ll be able to see the total hours for the project and how that compares to the budget. They won’t see any billable amounts or costs, though! Here’s how it breaks down:
- Add tasks to the project. Don’t forget to check tasks as billable so that they’re pulled into your invoices.
- You can create a general task list under Manage > Tasks, where you can also assign default settings to tasks.
- Add people to the project.
- People must be added under Manage > People in order to be assigned to a project.
- Save your project, and you’ll see it in your Projects section.
Duplicating a Project
Duplicating Active Projects
Need to quickly create a project that has settings similar to one of your other projects? Simply duplicate that project! If it’s active:
- Go to Projects and make sure the filter is set to view active projects.
- Click the Actions menu that appears to the right of a project listing.
- Select Duplicate.
Duplicating Archived Projects
You can duplicate an archived project, too!
- Go to Projects, and filter to archived projects.
- Click on a project’s name, and you’ll be dropped into the project’s Analysis page.
- Click the Duplicate button in the top right.