Recording and Removing Invoice Payments and Write-Offs
Record payments if your clients don’t pay invoices online, or write-off all or part of an invoice.
If your clients pay their invoices online, their invoice will automatically be marked as paid. If your clients do not pay online, you can record invoice payments manually.
- Go to Invoices > Overview, and click into the invoice for which you’d like to record a payment.
- Click the Record Payment button.
- Record the date on which you were paid and the amount.
- Note: You don’t have to enter the full amount due. You can enter a partial amount, and we’ll display the remaining balance so you can reissue the invoice.
- Click Save.
You can also delete payments if they were recorded incorrectly.
- Go to Invoices > Overview, and click into the invoice for which you’d like to delete a payment.
- Scroll down to the Invoice History at the bottom of the page.
- Find the entry for the payment you want to delete. Click the X to delete the payment.
Writing Off Invoices
Writing Off vs. Deleting
Deleting an invoice will remove it from your Harvest account. Writing off an invoice, though, keeps the invoice in your account, and records the unpaid balance of the invoice as part of your outstanding debts. In many cases, the debts incurred from written-off invoices can be treated as expenses and deducted from your taxes, so ask your accountant if this applies to your business.
How to Write Off an Invoice
You can write off an invoice with a partial or total outstanding balance.
- Go to Invoices > Overview and click into the invoice you need.
- Under More Actions, select Write Off Invoice.
- The invoice must be sent, or marked as sent, for this option to appear in the More Actions menu.
- Enter notes if you need to, and click Write Off Invoice.
If only part of an invoice was written-off, the invoice will say it has been written off for the entire amount due. However, payments and written-off balances are recorded correctly in Invoice Reports and on Overview.
Written-off invoices can be viewed under Invoices > Overview. Just go to the All tab and filter to Written-Off Invoices.