How to Integrate with Harvest
Forecast integrates with Harvest, our time tracking and invoicing app. Here’s how to set up the integration:
- When signed in to Forecast, head to your Settings (upper right corner).
- In the Harvest Integration section, click Connect to Harvest.
- Enter your Harvest Subdomain (which you can find in your Harvest URL: http://SUBDOMAIN.harvestapp.com), and the Email and Password that you use to sign in to Harvest.
Note: The Password field requires your Harvest-specific password. If you typically use Google Apps to sign in, you’ll need to make sure you’ve set up a Harvest specific password before you can link your Harvest and Forecast accounts.
- Click Connect.
- Next, you’ll be prompted to import clients and projects. Just check off what you’d like to import, then click Import and Continue. You can also choose to import later.
Note: Importing projects doesn’t import the people included on them. You’ll import your team separately in the next step.
- Now for importing people! Select the people you’d like to import, then click Import and Finish.
That’s it! You’ve linked Harvest to Forecast and imported your clients, projects, and team! Some things to note:
- Importing people will not invite them to join Forecast. If you’d like, you can invite them later.
- If you add additional Projects and Clients to your Harvest account, you can import them at any time by coming back to the Settings page and using the Import from Harvest button.
- If you’ve already added projects or people to Forecast separately, but want to link them to Harvest, please ensure that names, email addresses, clients, and codes are exact matches in both places before importing. Doing so will link the Harvest project or person to the Forecast project or person without creating a duplicate.
- A single Harvest account can only be linked to a single Forecast account at any given time, and vice versa.
What the Integration Offers
Once connected, remaining budgeted hours in Harvest projects will appear in Forecast, so you can easily compare your remaining budget to remaining scheduled time. You’re also able to go directly to a project analysis page in Harvest from Forecast, either by clicking the remaining budget hour total or using the View Report in Harvest option from a project’s Actions Menu.
In addition, your team’s scheduled time is sent over to Harvest, allowing more insight when analyzing projects.
- Compare estimated hours from Forecast with tracked hours from Harvest, to help you both plan for the future and see where you’ve been.
- Run projects more predictably by seeing your project’s health. We’ll let you know if your project is going to hit the budget, and if you go over, by how much. And if the project is budgeted by total project hours or hours per person, we’ll show you visually in the graph when you plan to hit the budget.
Below is an example of project health. Notice how this project’s tracked time isn’t over budget yet, but based on the scheduled time from Forecast, you can predict that you will be in a few weeks. We also let you know how much you’ll exceed the budget so you can better plan your time or make other arrangements.
Learn more about how Harvest and Forecast work together to save you time and help you plan future projects more intelligently.
How Data Syncs Between Forecast and Harvest
After you’ve integrated your accounts, some changes to your data will sync automatically, while others will require you to make changes in both your Forecast and Harvest accounts.
Things that automatically sync:
For Linked Projects
- Edits to project name.
- The remaining budgets of your Harvest projects (may take up to 15 minutes to sync to Forecast). You can see more about this feature here.
For Linked Clients
- Client names
For Linked People
- Edits made by a person to their name or email address, if that person has permission to sign into Forecast.
- Edits made to a person’s name by another user, if the edited person has permission to sign into Forecast.
- Edits to your company’s Default Capacity or an individual person’s capacity.
Things that do not automatically sync:
For Linked Projects
- The archived or active status of a project.
- Projects added to either Harvest or Forecast after you set up the integration. If you create completely new data in Harvest, you must choose to import it into Forecast (see how to do that below). Forecast projects cannot be synced or imported into Harvest.
- Edits to a project’s assigned client. If you change the client to which your project belongs, you must make that change manually in both apps.
For Linked Clients
- The archived or active status of a client.
- Clients added to either Harvest or Forecast after you set up the integration. If you create completely new data in Harvest, you must choose to import it into Forecast (see how to do that below).
- Forecast client can’t be synced or imported into Harvest.
For Linked People
- The archived or active status of a person.
- Edits made to a person’s email address by another user.
- Edits made to a person’s name by another user, if that person doesn’t have permission to sign into Forecast.
- Edits made by a person to their name or email address in Harvest, if that person doesn’t have permission to sign into Forecast.
- People added to either Harvest or Forecast after you set up the integration. If you create completely new data in Harvest, you must choose to import it into Forecast (see how to do that below).
- People in Forecast can’t be synced or imported into Harvest.
Importing Data from Harvest to Forecast Later
You can import clients, projects, and people from Harvest to Forecast when you set up the integration. If you add info to your Harvest account after you integrate, or simply didn’t import when you set up, you can import that data into Forecast later on. To do that:
- Head to your Navigation Menu and go to your Clients, Projects, or Team section, depending on what you want to import.
- Click the Import from Harvest button in the top right.
- Select the info you want to import, then click the green import button.
Disconnecting from Harvest
If you no longer want your Harvest and Forecast accounts linked, simply use the Disconnect link on your Settings page.
If you disconnect, the data you’ve imported into Forecast will stay right where it is! However, the link between your Harvest data and your Forecast data will be permanently severed.
If you re-integrate Harvest with Forecast, you can re-link clients, projects, and people from your Harvest and Forecast accounts by importing them again, but this will only work if the project and client names are a character-for-character match.